Kong Zi Institute

Frequently Asked Questions

Frequently Asked Questions

Who can accompany you to Beijing?

Foreign spouses and children that is 18 years old international students, parents or overseas guardians of international students under the age of 18 can apply for valid L visas with a period of six months or one year of zero, once, twice or multiple entries. The application may not be limited, but the valid term of the visa being applied shall not exceed the valid term of the international student’s visa or the residence permit.

In general, after an international student has gone through all the formalities in accordance with the requirements in this section, visa for the person that will accompany the international student to study can be process.

Why people have to buy insurance?

According to the regulations, an international student who studies in China for more than 180 days is compulsory to purchase a Chinese domestic insurance.

Which is a better choice for me to live?

Basically, colleges and universities in Beijing provide international students apartments on campus of different quality for you. However, if there are too many international students and the dormitories are not sufficient or you may use to live outside the campus, you can rent an apartment outside of the university. The advantages of living in campus are: near and convenient for dining, taking classes and doing exercises; the advantages of living out of university are that there is bigger degree of freedom, and you can freely choose room quality, work, and entertainment.

If you decided to rent an apartment outside of the university, after going through a renting formalities, you should conduct a foreigner temporary accommodation registration in the district public security bureau or police station where your accommodation is located with your passport or residence certificate and the residence booklet of the apartment owner within 24 hours. And notify the international student management department of the university.

Tips: Please pay attention to the reference prices from the airport to various universities listed in the section of university introduction. When taking a taxi, if you find there is a serious error on price, please keep the invoice away for complaint investigation.

After getting to Beijing, if I can’t find the university, what can I do? 
To prevent such things to happen; please consult the university that you registered and ask for its specific location and the best route from the Capital Airport to the university.

You can also reserve a pick-up transport from the airport to the university. Some universities have school buses specializing in pick and drop at the airport during the period of university enrollment of a new semester. For information related to Beijing Capital Airport, please visit the Web of Beijing Capital International Airport (http://www.bcia. com.cn/index.shtml) or call the Capital Airport Inquiry in English and Chinese (8610-64541111).

If you have any inquiries or question, please consult the airport staff for the most appropriate route with your Acceptance Notice after arriving in China.

From the airport to the university, you can choose convenient and public taxi, or get on an airport shuttle bus to the downtown. There are many airport shuttle bus routes.

What do I need to bring to Beijing? 
Things that required bringing: passport-size photos and copies of passport as many as possible because they will be used when going though a series of formalities after entering China, Passport, Admission Notice, transcript, physical examination records, JW201 Form or JW202 Form, certificate of highest-level education, recommendation letter from professor and other important documents.

Under garments and some clothes.

Tuition fees.

Things that don’t required bringing: computer, cell phone and other digital products and home appliances. If you want to bring some appliances, please note that voltage in Beijing is 220 volts. Daily toiletries and junk food.

Who are required for a physical examination? 

A: The international students with X visa should receive a physical examination after enrollment, and obtain a Health certificate issued by Beijing Entry-Exit Inspection and Quarantine Bureau.

Within 6 months before coming to Beijing, if you have already taken a physical examination in your country, a verification and review shall be taken. All the original copies of the physical examination reports and laboratory sheets shall be submitted to Haidian Out-patient Department, Beijing International Travel Healthcare Center for review. Those that passed the review don’t required to go thru a physical examination again. A certificate issued by a private medical institution is only valid after notarization, and if it approved, the physical examination shall be exempted.

An international student who hasn’t obtained such verification certificate can’t apply for Residence Permit.

Useful Information:

Haidian Out-patient Department, Beijing International Travel Healthcare Center

Add: 10 Dezheng Road, Haidian District

Tel: 8610-82403675

Q: How do I apply for scholarships granted by the Chinese government?

A: All applicants can apply to the relevant schools, the Chinese embassy, or consulate general in their home countries. The duration to apply is normally the beginning of January and the beginning of April. 

Q: What do these scholarships include?

A: Scholarships granted by the Chinese government are divided into full and partial scholarships.

1) The full scholarship includes:

a. Exemption of registration and tuition fees, free access to laboratories and practical classes, free basic learning materials, and free accommodation;

b. The similar free medical care that Chinese students are entitled to;

c. A monthly living allowance and settlement subsidy (only once and after registration).

d. Return train tickets for shard seats (hard sleepers if overnight) from the entry city to the city where the university or college is located, and vice versa.

The sender should pay the fees for international travel, unless both parties agreed.

2) The partial scholarship includes one or some of the above-mentioned items.

Q: How do I apply to study if I am a self-financed, international student?

b Applicants can directly contact China’s universities and colleges.

Applicants can apply to the China Scholarship Council (CSC) through relevant institutions of higher learning and non-governmental groups;

Applicants can apply directly thru CSC’s secretariat.

Q: What’s the duration of study in China?

A: It depends on the subjects chosen. Frankly speaking, it takes 4 to 5 years for undergraduates, 2 to 3 years for Masters degree candidates, and 3 years for PhD degree candidates. The duration varies for Chinese language students, general scholar candidates, and senior scholar candidates.

Study in China

In 2009, more than 240,000 students from over 180 countries came to study in China for both degree and non-degree programs. Here are some reasons to why they namely chose China: Studying in China is an excellent opportunity to explore the world’s most popular country. You will be able to experience China’s unique blend of ancient and modern civilization, as well as its scenic beauty.

Read More

Chinese Culture

Chinese culture is one of the oldest cultures in the world. This culture covers a large geographical scale of the Eastern Asia with customs and traditions varying greatly between provinces, cities, and even towns. Some important components of the Chinese culture include literature, music, visual arts, martial arts, cuisine, etc

Read More

HSK Program

The HSK (Hanyu Shuiping Kaoshi) or Chinese Proficiency Test, is a national standardized test designed and developed by the HSK Center to assess the Chinese language proficiency of non-native speakers. HSK and the issuing of HSK Certificates are supervised by the State Commission of Chinese Proficiency Test under the Ministry of Education.

Read More